Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Each Flag has a Name and a Face"



58,000 American servicemen were killed in the Vietnam War and more than 1,800 remain missing in action. More than 4,500 have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Vietnam vets Don Caruso(above) and Preston Creely(below) were two of the volunteers planting 65,000 flags in Falls Township in tribute to every one of these men and women.

I always enjoy assignments where I get to meet veterans because they've experienced things that give them a perspective most of us will never understand. When i got to this assignment I was pretty excited because hey, 65,000 flags in the ground means lots of cool visuals. I felt like an ass when Creely reminded me what they really mean. "Each flag has a name, and a face. It's good to see they're not being forgotten."

No comments: