Monday, August 31, 2009

Exorcising the Demons

Since getting in to photography, the one word I've dreaded more than any other is "portrait." As soon as I read that on an assignment sheet, my hands would get clammy and the cold sweats would start. I dreaded the control of choosing the location, directing the subject, and don't even get me started on flash, which might as well have been a chunk of kryptonite in my camera bag(sound about right John Secoges?). I've worked hard to improve over the last few years, and I'm finally starting to be happy with the results. Suddenly, all the things I dreaded about portraits are now the things I love. I still have a ways to go with getting more creative, but it's exciting to feel like I'm making progress. With that, here are a couple of recent portraits that I liked.



























High school soccer goalie who got a full scholarship to play at Stanford.













This couple started their own business repairing and restoring vintage pinball machines. How cool is that?










This one was tough, shooting the owner of an auto repair shop with the waste oil furnace he runs using recycled oil.

1 comment:

John Secoges said...

The flash is only kryptonite when using a green gel:) Work looks good. You must have had a few good teachers along the way...after me!