Thursday, December 17, 2009

Different Views of the Same Thing

One of the biggest things I've learned taking pictures for a living is that there are countless ways of seeing the same thing. It's what I like to stress more than anything when I get to speak to photo students: when you get to an assignment, don't get tunnel vision. Take a step back, walk around, walk behind, climb up, lay down, you'll be amazed how the view changes. I can't count how many times I've gotten back to my car on an assignment, turned around and said "Oh $h!t, I didn't see it that way before!"
I was reminded of that idea the other day when I finally made it to the Newseum(worth a trip to Washington all by itself if you ask me). The front of the building faces the National Gallery of Art, which I snapped a picture of from the top floor of the Newseum at the start of the tour(above picture). As I walked through the exhibits, my eye kept getting drawn drawn back to the Gallery. I would up taking a slew of pictures and included a couple of my favs.










































My position in relation to the National Gallery never really changed much, but just from moving around inside the Newseum and noticing different foregrounds, I was able to capture some different looks. I'm not sure that's interesting to anybody other than me, but I thought it was pretty cool so I figured I'd share.

4 comments:

derrickvee said...

+1 for interesting. As someone completely mystified by my low end SLR camera, I'm always interested in various ways skilled photogs put together captivating images. Really like the shot with the silhouette in the foreground, but I'm a sucker for that just like you.

Matt said...

+1 for referring to me as a "skilled photog"

Rebecca Saunders said...

This is a very interesting blog. The best I've seen so far.

Anonymous said...

88pascher.com sac a main louis vuitton sac burberry sac chanel chaussures puma chaussures nike tee shirts louis vuitton chanel femmes tee shirts sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml sitemapproducts.xml