Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Tale of Two People

Without question, the best thing about my job is getting to meet new and interesting people just about every day. They're what make putting up with pay cuts, crazy hours and unpredictable schedules totally worthwhile. Two that I met recently have nothing in common, but both reminded me what a privilege it is to tell people's stories.










Stephen Lawlor is 10-years-old and 3' 8'' tall. He was born with skeletal dysplasia, a condition that causes his internal organs to grow faster than his skeleton and one for which there is no cure. Faced with a lifetime of surgeries and more challenges than anyone should ever have to endure, he's chosen to focus on his strengths and has turned himself into a champion speller, which as a fellow former archdiocesan spelling finalist, holds a very special place in my heart. (Stupid auricular! Why don't you have two r's?? I could have been a champion!)

On the opposite end of luck's spectrum is Suzie Brown, a beautiful woman intelligent enough to go to Darmouth and Harvard, driven enough to become a cardiologist at Penn and talented enough to take time away from being a doctor to pursue being a singer/songwriter. With every reason in the world to be arrogant and pretentious, she was instead extraordinarily kind and humble and completely conscious of and grateful for the gifts she's been given.

Both of these people had a big impact on me. I can't wait to see who I meet tomorrow. (It better not be some jerk. Jerks are the worst and have no right to live amongst us.)

2 comments:

Roob said...

great stuff, matt

you should update this blog frequently

Matt said...

Thanks Roob. I'll try, but I'm a slacker.